A control room sits at the heart of any security installation, bringing together video surveillance, access control and fire control into one room. It serves as a central space where a large physical facility or physically dispersed service can be monitored and controlled by the controllers.
In essence, a control room is a central point that monitors and/or deploys resources — be this to process controls for our systems or to manage our guards. It is the room where it all happens. Our control room is used for the monitoring of over 150 sites nationwide, using various systems, such as our CCTV, Webeye and ASMS systems. We also control and monitor the guard welfare and ensure that lone workers are safe and well using the time gate system for monitoring check calls and alerts.
We Monitor 100s of cameras, 24 hours a day and alert our clients site teams or response teams to any suspicious or criminal activity onsite. We work closely with our clients to ensure that their systems are in full working order, giving best coverage, and to ensure any issues are rectified as soon possible. We do so by notifying the site or engineering teams of any faults that cannot be fixed by the team in the control room themselves.
Our Control room team consists of five people, including our newly recruited control room supervisors. Their responsibilities include:
• The day-to-day maintenance of the CCTV systems
• Arming schedules
• Notifying our clients of any security breaches and the outcome of such events
• Managing the system to ensure any faults are logged and valid
• Monitoring and maintaining the schedules and check calls for the guarding team
• Co-ordinating and logging any activity on any armed sites and answering the calls from clients and guards that may need assistance with products or schedules
• Working with the operations team, the control room team ensures that our clients’ security needs are always met
It is also part of supervisors’ duty to ensure that the guards are meeting company standards and maintaining welfare. They also ensure that the guards are following the expected patrols routes and follow the company guidelines and assignment instructions by visiting random sites on nights out on their working pattern.
Our control room operators have the same responsibility as that above, however, they are based in the control room and do not go out and visit the guards. The team work on a 4 on 4 off rota and, as mentioned above, the control room is manned 24hrs a day.
Earlier this year, we moved from an old control room, built in the early 90’s and upgraded it to our fabulous new control centre.